Taking measures to reduce the energy used by lighting systems is only the first step to lower energy bills. The savvy user will also work to ensure that those savings continue throughout the life of the system. Following these six steps will help keep today’s savings available for tomorrow:
- During system design, minimize the variety of lamps used.
- Choose fixtures that use lamp-specific sockets.
- Convert lighting upgrade specifications into purchasing specifications.
- Regularly train lighting maintenance personnel.
- Budget and train for group relamping.
- Focus responsibility for lighting system maintenance on one person instead of diffusing it among several.